Digital Audio World

Musings and information on podcasting, digital audio, online streaming audio and home studio recording from Tim 'Gonzo' Gordon of DigitalAudioWorld.com

Thursday, November 16, 2006

iTunes Subscription Protocol Change?

I was poking through a podcast directory when I came across an iTune subscribe link that was extremely simple. Insstead of a 90 or 100-character URL, it was simply the location of the RSS feed with the prefix "itpc".

Since I'd never heard of it, I did some browsing and came across this post from Derek Miller in Vancouver BC.

Penmachine.com: Apple's new "itpc" podcast URL prefix | Derek K. Miller, Writer & Editor, Vancouver, Canada

So I tried this for my iTunes one-click subscribe link and it works great. Just one-click and you're subscribed.

Wow, another thing Apple has done right. If they keep going I might actually buy something of theirs or at least consider it.

And, hey Derek, thanks for the info!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Derek said…

    Thanks Tim. Apple has never really made a big point of that, but yes, they really are the only company that's solved the One Click podcast subscription problem. Fortunately, it's a simple URL prefix, so other podcatchers can implement it too.

    I mentioned it to Brent Simmons who writes NetNewsWire for Mac when I first noticed it, and I'm sure all the others know about it by now. Presumably you could set your preferences so that itpc:// opens whatever your preferred podcatcher is, iTunes or Juice or Doppler or NetNewsWire or whatever. Nice.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home